background

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

My Girls

I guess these are all from the last month or so - they're getting bigger! D. is saying lots of words. One of her faves is waving and saying "Hai" when we're out. "hai" as in yes. I got her to say "gato" too, not the spanish for "cat" but short for arigato. A. has been brave enough to shout her greetings out the car window to the guards, and although my intention of learning the language is quickly getting lost in the shuffle, I have every intention of bringing it back to the forefront. . . soon. The funny thing about living in a foreign country is that the majority of your life is still taken up with everyday living. I now fully understand why people come back from a foreign duty station not being totally immersed in the culture or not knowing very much of the language. It takes time, and is an "extracurricular" to the events of every day life, so it easily gets pushed to the back burner. But like anything in life, the things you put value on are going to be the things you invest your time in. A reminder for me in how my time is being spent.  







1 comment: